Accommodation in Lyndhurst

Welcome to the New Forest accommodation web site. We work to a remit of Quality over Quantity.
Inside you will find first class standards of New Forest b&b and holiday accommodation.

 

What's New:

Golfing Mini-Breaks

Golfer

TheNew Forest has many Golf Courses. We have put together a selection of new forest accommodations that cater for the Golfing enthusiast and their Families. Many are keen Golfers themselves and I know of at least One professional golfing family that are new forest bed and breakfast hosts.

Updated: December 14, 2011

Recent Events:

Get your FREE web site

Getting it rightOn our new forest portal site http://www.newforest.uk.com

Free web site and email address with our premiun listing

e.g.

http://woodlands.newforest.uk.com

woodlands@newforest.uk.com  NB* example only

Please go here for details: http://www.newforest.uk.com/catalog.htm

Updated: July 02, 2013

Some Forest facts:

Commoners

People of the worldWhat is a commoner? Can anyone become a Commoner? What are the responsibilities of releasing stock into the Forest?
What is Common of Mast, Turbary, Estovers, Marl? They were concessions won from the Crown centuries ago - but are they still practised?

A Commoner is a person who occupies land to which Common Rights in the New Forest are attached. A Right of Common is authority for the occupier of a plot of land (to which Rights are attached), to take specified material or products from somebody else's land. In the context of the New Forest, the principal product is grazing and the owner of the land is the Crown. Land with Common Rights is not confined to the perambulation of the Forest; many "holdings" are in villages on the periphery of the Forest.

Rights of Common of Pasture are attributed to land. It permits depasturing of "commonable" animals on 45,000 acres of Open Forest. Commonable animals are ponies, horned cattle and donkeys. Goats are barred from the Open Forest. By historic practice, chicken and geese may wander in the Forest, but this is not a Common Right.

Those depasturing animals must comply with Verderers' Bye-Laws:
payments to Agisters, receipt of which is recognised by tail marking (cutting) for ponies, and ear tags for cattle;
all stock must be branded to identify the owner (usually near-side saddle area in ponies and the off-side in cattle);
disease control regulations must be complied with and vicious or mischievous animals must not be depastured;
stallions over 2 years old must be approved by the Verderers, they must be registered New Forest ponies and they must be moved on every 4th year to avoid in-breeding.

About 5,000 commonable animals are turned out. The ratio of ponies to cattle is 3:2. Around 130 stallions are turned out in the breeding season. About 500 Commoners use the Right. There is no limit to the number of animals that may be depastured.

...But though the form of the New-forest horse is seldom beautiful; yet as the ornament of a forest scene he is very picturesque. The horse, in his natural state, rough with all his mane about him, and his tail waving in the wind, as he feeds, is always beautiful; but particularly in so wild a scene as this, which he graces exceedingly."
(William Gilpin, 1791)

Common of Mast is the right to turn out pigs in the Forest during the Pannage season. The Pannage season is a period of not less than 60 days, fixed by the Forestry Commission after consultation with the Verderers. Before the 1964 New Forest Act, the Pannage season was fixed at 25 Sep-22 Nov.

Pannage is an ancient practice to fatten pigs before slaughter and salting for the winter. It was additionally useful in the Forest - the pigs turned out ate green acorns and beech mast that are poisonous to cattle and ponies (for example, in 1968, 80 ponies and 40 cattle died eating acorns). The 3,500 acres of Adjacent Commons recently brought within the perambulation are not subject to Pannage dates.

In the 19th century, up to 5,000-6,000 pigs were turned out; currently the numbers are in hundreds - it is a declining Right. Commoners may also turn out breeding sows out all year providing they return to the Commoner's holding at night, and are not a nuisance. This is not a true Right, it is an established practice.

Right of Turbary

This Right allows the Commoner to cut turf for fuel; turves were once cut in tens of thousands each year. Turves were 2' by 1'; to preserve grazing and reduce environmental damage, for every turf cut, two were left. A ticket to cut turf was issued by the Forestry Commission. In 1876, 80 people cut turf, but the Right is no longer practised. The Rights belong to the chimney and hearth of a property, not the land.

Right of Fuelwood (Estovers)

This is the Right to cut wood for fuel. The wood must be burned in the house and the Right applies to the hearth, not land.

The Right is now confined to a few Commoners; most have sold their Rights to the Forestry Commission. The Forestry Commission stacks the wood close to holdings in long stacks. The stacks are labelled into "cords"; a cord is a stack of wood in 4 foot lengths, 4 feet high and 8 feet long. In 1996, 99 properties had allocations totalling 221 cords. The Right is controlled by the Forestry Commission, to inhibit plunder of the Ancient & Ornamental woodland.

Anyone living in a property built before 1850 within the perambulation can pick fallen twigs and branches, providing a vehicle is not required to transport them.

Right of Common of Marl

Marl is a lime-rich clay used to fertilise land; it was also be used for building. The Right of Common of Marl was to dig marl from one of the 23 pits mentioned in the Register of Claims. It is not now exercised; modern fertilisers have made the practice unnecessary and exercise of the Right died out last century. It was confined geologically to the south of the Forest.

Common of Pasture of Sheep

There are Rights to depasture sheep at very few holdings, principally at Godshill and Beaulieu - lands formerly belonging to monastic properties. Exercise of the sheep Rights is uncommon; in the early 1990's 100 sheep were depastured at Godshill for the first time this century - they are now gone. Sheep are depastured on the former Adjacent Commons, principally Penn Common.

Customs (not Rights of Common)

Cutting fern: Fern (bracken) is cut from the end of August. It was originally cut in squares by scythe, but is now "swiped" by machine. Sixty bundles (pooks) made one wagon load. It was a frequent practice until the 1940's and the tracks of the wagons can still be traced on the ground. The bracken had the same utility as straw. It is still cut by a few now as bedding for ponies, but it is principally cut to stop the fronds smothering sweet grass.

Bees: Hives are placed July-September; a fee is payable to Forestry Commission. Old "Bee Gardens" have been described in the Forest - small circular enclosures where hives were placed. Names of locations in the Forest testify to the practice - Hive Garn Bottom, King's Garn Gutter.

Gorse (furze) and holly: They were cut to provide browse in the winter for the ponies and deer. Deer won't eat gorse, but they find cut holly palatable. I have never seen cut gorse, but holly trees are still pollarded to provide winter browse.

Updated: July 16, 2011

New Forest Accommodation - Lyndhurst

ABOUT Lyndhurst New Forest, Hampshire, UK.

Lyndhurst is a village and civil parish in the New Forest, Hampshire, England. It is a popular tourist location with many independent shops, art galleries, cafés, restaurants, pubs and hotels. The nearest city is Southampton located around nine miles (14 km) to the north-east. In 2001 Lyndhurst had a population of 2,973 people.

The village is the administrative capital of the New Forest, with the district council based in the village. The Court of Verderers sits in the Queens House in Lyndhurst. The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a major landmark. It was built in the 1860s, and contains a fresco by Lord Leighton and stained-glass windows by Charles Kempe, William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones and others. Alice Liddell, the inspiration for Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, is buried here.

The name "Lyndhurst" is an Old English name, meaning 'Wooded hill growing with lime-trees'. The name comprises the words lind ('lime-tree') and hyrst ('wooded hill'). Lyndhurst is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Linhest. It was part of the royal lands of the New Forest, with the exception of 1 virgate which was held by Herbert the Forester. Herbert may have been the ancestor of the Lyndhurst family, beginning with Herbert Lyndhurst, who held the bailiwick and manor of Lyndhurst in the 12th and 13th centuries. The manor passed to the king in 1270, and together with the wardenship of the New Forest, which invariably accompanied the manor, it formed part of the dowry of four consecutive queens, Eleanor of Castile, Margaret of France, Isabella of France, and Philippa of Hainault. The manor was back in the hands of the king before 1362, and it was granted to various noble families over the course of the following century. Between 1467 and 1581 it was in the hands of the Earls of Arundel, after which it once again reverted to the Crown. The estate was once again passed to various noble families until 1667, when Charles II granted it to Charles Paulet, 1st Duke of Bolton. He was followed successively by his son and grandson, but by the mid-18th-century it was back in royal hands, being held successively by Prince William Henry (up to 1805) and Prince Frederick (until 1827). Subsequently, the manor was deemed "not important to be kept", and the copyholds of the manor, which included estates in Minstead, Burley, Bartley and Poulner, either became enfranchised or passed to the Crown.

A royal park was attached to the manor of Lyndhurst from a very early date. It was unusual for being a King's Park within a King's Forest. In 1299 it covered an area of 500 acres, the profits from the honey gathered there amounting to 2 shillings per annum. It was actively worked during the 14th and 15th centuries when payments were made for the fencing and repairing of the palings. The "old Park" of Lyndhurst is where the Parkhill Hotel now stands, the new park being on the A337 Brockenhurst road.

Eccentric facade of the Lyndhurst Park HotelThe village is the administrative capital of the New Forest, with the district council based in the village. The Court of Verderers sits in the Queens House in Lyndhurst. The local headquarters of the Forestry Commission, the body that handles the maintenance of the softwood plantations, forest roads and paths, and controlling the spread of invasive plants, such as rhododendrons and gorse is based in Queen's House in the Village.

The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a major landmark, being built of many different colours of brick, on one of the highest points in the village. Other major landmarks include Bolton's Bench, a picturesque hill to the east of the village; and a row of much photographed thatched cottages on the road to the neighbouring hamlet of Emery Down. There is also a very fine, small Catholic Church of the Assumption and St Edward the Confessor, built by Sir Arthur Blomfield between 1894 and 1896 as a memorial to Marie-Louise Souberbielle.

Lyndhurst is also home to the New Forest Centre, formerly the New Forest Museum. Also situated towards the outskirts of the village is Foxlease, the headquarters and training and activity centre of Girlguiding UK since 1922. It has been the scene of several internationally important Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting events. The headquarters of the privately owned British chemicals company INEOS is located in the village.

The civil parish includes the hamlets of Bank and Emery Down. Lyndhurst is surrounded by varied "forest" from the heathland of Parkhill to the bog of Matley, and the open forest with its ancient oak and beech to the enclosures of softwoods.

The most important building in Lyndhurst is the Queen's House, which has also in the past been called the King's House, for the name changes according to the gender of the monarch. It is the principal building owned by the Crown in the New Forest, and contains the Verderers' Hall, home of the ancient Verderers' Court. The Queen's House is also the local headquarters of the Forestry Commission.

A manor house probably existed in Lyndhurst at a very early date. In the reign of Edward I an order was given for "twenty oaks to make laths for the use of the queen's manor-house at Lyndhurst." This house was probably superseded by the hunting lodge built at Lyndhurst in the 14th century, which received frequent royal visits, and for which there are many records relating to the repair and enlargement. In 1388 a hall was built within the lodge, known later as the Verderer's Hall. Rebuilding took place in the reign of Henry VIII, and especially in the 17th century, during the reigns of Charles I and Charles II, and the current structure largely dates from this time. The building is a rambling two-story structure in brick. The prisoners' dock, tables and chairs of considerable age are preserved in the hall. Also to be found within is the so-called "Stirrup of Rufus," which was used to measure dogs. Dogs which were too large to pass through the stirrup, were considered a danger to game.

The Church of St Michael and All Angels sits on a mound overlooking the village. It was built between 1858–70, and is the third such building on the site. The church was designed by William White. It is constructed with red brick with yellow trim. It has a tall brick-banded spire at the north-west end. The interior has yellow, white and red exposed brickwork, and a nave roof decorated with life-size supporting angels. The church contains a fresco by Frederick Leighton showing the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins, with biblical characters said to be modelled on local people. The church also contains stained-glass windows designed by William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones, and Charles Kempe.

Alice Liddell, also known as Alice Hargreaves, the inspiration for Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, lived in and around Lyndhurst after her marriage to Reginald Hargreaves, and is buried in the graveyard.

The village itself is the meeting point of the A35, running east to west from Southampton to Bournemouth and the A337 running north to south from the M27 to Lymington on the south coast. To deal with the large volume of traffic that is created by this link, a one-way system is used. This in effect turns the major roads of the village into a traffic circle. During the summer months, the traffic through the village increases hugely because of the tourists who visit the area. This can create queues into the village from all directions.

For many years it has been recognised that Lyndhurst needs a bypass. As far back as 1947 the Government's Baker Report accepted the need for a bypass, and provision was made in the 1949 New Forest Act to construct roads through the forest with the consent of the Verderers. Public inquiries were held in 1975 and 1983, at both of which the various routes proposed by the county council were opposed by the Verderers as being detrimental to the environment. The Verderers stated that they would not oppose a less harmful route. The last serious attempt at a Lyndhurst Bypass Bill was rejected in July 1988. Lyndhurst Parish Council continues to press for a bypass, and currently proposes that road follows the route suggested in 1983 but with a 400 metre cut-and-cover tunnel.

Although Lyndhurst itself does not have a central railway station, it had traditionally been served by Lyndhurst Road station, three miles away, but which has been renamed Ashurst New Forest. It is also only four miles (6 km) from Brockenhurst - both stations are on the South Western Main Line to London and Weymouth. Bus service operated by Wilts & Dorset run frequently to Southampton and Lymington, also several times each weekday to Ringwood. There are also two daily National Express coach departures to London Victoria. The New Forest Tour, an open-top bus tour run in the summer, starts and finishes in Lyndhurst.

Accommodation in the New Forest

List of New Forest Accommodation in Lyndhurst

  • Fleetwater Farm  


    Fleetwater Farm
     
    TelephoneTelephone- 023 80812273

    1

    Fleetwater Farm new forest b&b

    This magnificent example of an early Victorian, Manorial farmhouse, was once owned by 'Jack Hargreaves' of television's 'Out of Town' fame. Set in four acres of informal gardens and paddocks. It is the ideal place for those wanting a quiet break away from the hustle and bustle of suburban life right in the heart of the New Forest. However should you want a little exercise, there is a tennis court which may be used. (by arrangement)

    King size double or twin room with large en-suite bath/shower room and double aspect garden views. King size double or twin room with modern en-suite shower room and views overlooking the garden and paddocks. There is also a further Double room with garden outlook, a Single room and modern shower room adjacent.

    Email: heather@fleetwater-farm.fsnet.co.uk

    Tel: 023 8081 2273


  • 2

    Bed and breakfast


    Stable Cottage, Holmfield, Lyndhurst SO43 7BH


    4

    Bed and breakfast


    Beechen House, Clayhill, Lyndhurst SO43 7DN


    5

    Bed and breakfast


    Rufus House Hotel, Southampton Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AR


    6

    Bed and breakfast


    Burwood Lodge, 27 Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AA


    7

    Bed and breakfast


    Clarendon Villa, Gosport Lane, Lyndhurst SO43 7BL


    8

    Bed and breakfast


    Clayhill House, Clayhill, Lyndhurst SO43 7DE


    9

    Bed and breakfast


    Englefield, Chapel Lane, Lyndhurst SO43 7FG


    10

    Bed and breakfast


    Forest Cottage, High Street, Lyndhurst SO43 7BH


    11

    Bed and breakfast


    Hurst End, Clayhill, Lyndhurst SO43 7DE


    12

    Bed and breakfast


    Little Hayes, 43 Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AR


    13

    Bed and breakfast


    Lyndhurst House, 35 Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AR


    14

    Bed and breakfast


    Pen Cottage, Swan Green, Lyndhurst SO43 7DP


    15

    Bed and breakfast


    Reepham House, 12 Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AA


    16

    Bed and breakfast


    Rose Cottage, Chapel Lane, Lyndhurst SO43 7FG


    17

    Bed and breakfast


    Rosedale, 24 Shaggs Meadow, Lyndhurst SO43 7BN


    18

    Bed and breakfast


    Southview Guest House, Gosport Lane, Lyndhurst SO43 7BL


    19

    Bed and breakfast


    Temple Lodge Guest House, 2 Queens Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7BR


    20

    Bed and breakfast


    The Laurels, 9 Wellands Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AB


    21

    Bed and breakfast


    The Mill House, Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AR


    22

    Bed and breakfast


    Forest View Cottages, , Lyndhurst SO43 7BU


    23

    Bed and breakfast


    The Chase, Southampton Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7BQ


    24

    Bed and breakfast


    Owl Cottage, Clayhill, Lyndhurst SO43 7DE


    25

    Bed and breakfast

    Angels Farm House. A traditional 17th Century farmhouse


    26

    Cottage

    Deleted


    27

    Cottage

    Deleted


    28

    Cottage

    Deleted


    29

    Cottage


    The Cottage, The Old Stables, Pikes Hill, Lyndhurst SO43 7AY


    30

    Cottage


    The Cottages, The Penny Farthing Hotel, Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43


    31

     

    32

    Cottage


    Holiday Flat, 95B High Street, Lyndhurst SO43 7BH


    33

    Cottage


    Holly Cottage, Southampton Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7BU


    34

    Cottage


    Yorke Cottage, 9 Pemberton Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AN


    35

    Cottage


    Yew Tree Cottage, Bank, Lyndhurst SO43 7FD


    36

    Hotel


    Ormonde House Hotel, Southampton Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7BT


    37

    Hotel


    Whitemoor House Hotel, Southampton Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7BU


    39

    Hotel


    The Penny Farthing Hotel, Romsey Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7AA


    40

    Hotel


    The Forest Lodge Hotel, Pikes Hill, Lyndhurst SO43 7AS


    41

    Hotel


    The Crown Hotel, High Street, Lyndhurst SO43 7NF


    42

    Hotel


    The Stag Hotel, 69 High Street, Lyndhurst SO43 7BE


    43

    Hotel


    Lyndhurst Park Hotel, High Street, Lyndhurst SO43 7NL


    44

    Hotel


    The Lodge, Pikes Hill, Lyndhurst


    45

    Hotel


    Forest Point Hotel, Romsey Road, Lyndhurst


    46

    Hotel


    Parkhill Country House Hotel, Beaulieu Road, Lyndhurst SO43 7FZ


    47

    Pubs and Inns


    The Mailmans Arms, 71 High Street, Lyndhurst SO43 7BE


    48

    Pubs and Inns


    Fox and Hounds, High Street, Lyndhurst


    49

    Pubs and Inns


    The Waterloo Arms, Pikes Hill, Lyndhurst SO43 7AG


    50

    Camp site


    Denny Wood, , Lyndhurst


    51

    Camp site


    Matley Wood, , Lyndhurst


More accommodation in the new forest

 




QUICK NAV

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome to the New Forest
Welcome
first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
Welcome
themed object

New Forest Accommodation

Bookmark and Share