New Forest Villages

Welcome to the New Forest accommodation web site. We work to a remit of Quality over Quantity.
Below you will find first class standards of New Forest b&b and holiday accommodation by Town or Village.

 

What's New:

Golfing Mini-Breaks

Golfer

TheNew Forest has many Golf Courses. We have put together a selection of new forest accommodations that cater for the Golfing enthusiast and their Families. Many are keen Golfers themselves and I know of at least One professional golfing family that are new forest bed and breakfast hosts.

Updated: December 14, 2011

Some Forest facts:

Commoners

People of the worldWhat is a commoner? Can anyone become a Commoner? What are the responsibilities of releasing stock into the Forest?
What is Common of Mast, Turbary, Estovers, Marl? They were concessions won from the Crown centuries ago - but are they still practised?

A Commoner is a person who occupies land to which Common Rights in the New Forest are attached. A Right of Common is authority for the occupier of a plot of land (to which Rights are attached), to take specified material or products from somebody else's land. In the context of the New Forest, the principal product is grazing and the owner of the land is the Crown. Land with Common Rights is not confined to the perambulation of the Forest; many "holdings" are in villages on the periphery of the Forest.

Rights of Common of Pasture are attributed to land. It permits depasturing of "commonable" animals on 45,000 acres of Open Forest. Commonable animals are ponies, horned cattle and donkeys. Goats are barred from the Open Forest. By historic practice, chicken and geese may wander in the Forest, but this is not a Common Right.

Those depasturing animals must comply with Verderers' Bye-Laws:
payments to Agisters, receipt of which is recognised by tail marking (cutting) for ponies, and ear tags for cattle;
all stock must be branded to identify the owner (usually near-side saddle area in ponies and the off-side in cattle);
disease control regulations must be complied with and vicious or mischievous animals must not be depastured;
stallions over 2 years old must be approved by the Verderers, they must be registered New Forest ponies and they must be moved on every 4th year to avoid in-breeding.

About 5,000 commonable animals are turned out. The ratio of ponies to cattle is 3:2. Around 130 stallions are turned out in the breeding season. About 500 Commoners use the Right. There is no limit to the number of animals that may be depastured.

...But though the form of the New-forest horse is seldom beautiful; yet as the ornament of a forest scene he is very picturesque. The horse, in his natural state, rough with all his mane about him, and his tail waving in the wind, as he feeds, is always beautiful; but particularly in so wild a scene as this, which he graces exceedingly."
(William Gilpin, 1791)

Common of Mast is the right to turn out pigs in the Forest during the Pannage season. The Pannage season is a period of not less than 60 days, fixed by the Forestry Commission after consultation with the Verderers. Before the 1964 New Forest Act, the Pannage season was fixed at 25 Sep-22 Nov.

Pannage is an ancient practice to fatten pigs before slaughter and salting for the winter. It was additionally useful in the Forest - the pigs turned out ate green acorns and beech mast that are poisonous to cattle and ponies (for example, in 1968, 80 ponies and 40 cattle died eating acorns). The 3,500 acres of Adjacent Commons recently brought within the perambulation are not subject to Pannage dates.

In the 19th century, up to 5,000-6,000 pigs were turned out; currently the numbers are in hundreds - it is a declining Right. Commoners may also turn out breeding sows out all year providing they return to the Commoner's holding at night, and are not a nuisance. This is not a true Right, it is an established practice.

Right of Turbary

This Right allows the Commoner to cut turf for fuel; turves were once cut in tens of thousands each year. Turves were 2' by 1'; to preserve grazing and reduce environmental damage, for every turf cut, two were left. A ticket to cut turf was issued by the Forestry Commission. In 1876, 80 people cut turf, but the Right is no longer practised. The Rights belong to the chimney and hearth of a property, not the land.

Right of Fuelwood (Estovers)

This is the Right to cut wood for fuel. The wood must be burned in the house and the Right applies to the hearth, not land.

The Right is now confined to a few Commoners; most have sold their Rights to the Forestry Commission. The Forestry Commission stacks the wood close to holdings in long stacks. The stacks are labelled into "cords"; a cord is a stack of wood in 4 foot lengths, 4 feet high and 8 feet long. In 1996, 99 properties had allocations totalling 221 cords. The Right is controlled by the Forestry Commission, to inhibit plunder of the Ancient & Ornamental woodland.

Anyone living in a property built before 1850 within the perambulation can pick fallen twigs and branches, providing a vehicle is not required to transport them.

Right of Common of Marl

Marl is a lime-rich clay used to fertilise land; it was also be used for building. The Right of Common of Marl was to dig marl from one of the 23 pits mentioned in the Register of Claims. It is not now exercised; modern fertilisers have made the practice unnecessary and exercise of the Right died out last century. It was confined geologically to the south of the Forest.

Common of Pasture of Sheep

There are Rights to depasture sheep at very few holdings, principally at Godshill and Beaulieu - lands formerly belonging to monastic properties. Exercise of the sheep Rights is uncommon; in the early 1990's 100 sheep were depastured at Godshill for the first time this century - they are now gone. Sheep are depastured on the former Adjacent Commons, principally Penn Common.

Customs (not Rights of Common)

Cutting fern: Fern (bracken) is cut from the end of August. It was originally cut in squares by scythe, but is now "swiped" by machine. Sixty bundles (pooks) made one wagon load. It was a frequent practice until the 1940's and the tracks of the wagons can still be traced on the ground. The bracken had the same utility as straw. It is still cut by a few now as bedding for ponies, but it is principally cut to stop the fronds smothering sweet grass.

Bees: Hives are placed July-September; a fee is payable to Forestry Commission. Old "Bee Gardens" have been described in the Forest - small circular enclosures where hives were placed. Names of locations in the Forest testify to the practice - Hive Garn Bottom, King's Garn Gutter.

Gorse (furze) and holly: They were cut to provide browse in the winter for the ponies and deer. Deer won't eat gorse, but they find cut holly palatable. I have never seen cut gorse, but holly trees are still pollarded to provide winter browse.

Updated: July 16, 2011

Recent Events:

Get your FREE web site

Getting it rightOn our new forest portal site http://www.newforest.uk.com

Free web site and email address with our premiun listing

e.g.

http://woodlands.newforest.uk.com

woodlands@newforest.uk.com  NB* example only

Please go here for details: http://www.newforest.uk.com/catalog.htm

Updated: July 02, 2013

All of The New Forest Towns and Villages

The New Forest Villages:

ASHURST

Ashurst village in the New Forest has Bed and Breakfast Guest Houses, 4 restaurants, 3 bars, a mini-market, newsagents and post office etc.. Ashurst railway stations which is on the London - Southampton - Poole line. Regular Bus service to Southampton and Lymington. Bicycle hire shop is also available within Lyndhurst.


ASHLEY

Ashley, New Milton - Milton Parish, just South of the New Forest boundary.


BARTON ON SEA

Much of Barton on Sea would appear to the visitor to be a pleasant seaside area with wonderful views of the Solent and the Isle of Wight, surrounded by a pleasant residential area. It is in addition an area of particular scientific interest.


BEAULIEU

Beaulieu was called "Bellus Locus Regis" (The beautiful place of the King) when King John gave the grounds of his hunting lodge to the Cistercian monks in 1204. There are both Stone Age and Bronze Age traces in the Parish, but the Abbey and its associated buildings are of the greatest interest; this interest is not just confined to the Abbey building complex (as it would now be called) but includes the remains of the chapels at Park Farm and St. Leonards. There are traces of mediaeval granges at Otterwood, Bouvery, and possibly at Sowley. In the Parish is the Hamlet at Bucklers Hard where the wooden walled battleships were built by the master builder, Henry Adams.


BRAMSHAW

Bramshaw was partly in Wiltshire until the "County of Southampton Act 1894" put it all into Hampshire. The ancient church had its nave in Wiltshire and its chancel in Hampshire. The name means "Bramble Wood" and we still have the place names of Bramble Hill and Blackthorne Copse. The hamlets of Brook and Fritham are in this Parish. An excellent view can be obtained from Pipers Wait, the high point in the New Forest, being 128 metres above mean sea level. Stone Age implements have been found in this Parish, and there are remains of Iron Age barrows.


BRANSGORE

Bransgore is a village in the new forest of approximately four thousand inhabitants. All age groups are represented with large numbers of families although our elder citizens, with perhaps more time to enjoy their surroundings, seem to be more 'active' in the village. There is a good community spirit with good social and commercial amenities. Like many communities of this size and position away from major facilities there is a slight difficulty in keeping some of our teenagers amused, but hopefully the new sports field complex will go some way to relieving this. Three local pubs, a church, primary school and a convenient row of shops. Post Office, doctors, opticians, vets, there is virtually all you ever need. The various clubs, societies etc use a myriad of meeting halls situated throughout the village. Most are well kept and highly used. There is already a playing field, large enough for four football pitches and a children's playground. This is the location of our very well supported 'Village fun day' event which is held each summer. As mentioned above, we are developing a whole new complex to include faculties for tennis, cricket and a whole host of other sports. Popular destination for New Forest Accommodation, Holidays and Self-Catering.


BROCKENHURST

Brockenhurst - the Benidorm of the New Forest During the high season gets very, very busy with many tourists clogging the local roads and scenic walks. Brockenhurst, New Forest, Hampshire, lies within the Heritage Area of the New Forest - William the Conqueror's forest is a unique landscape of international renown. The European Union is funding work to restore and preserve this. Europe's largest surviving area of ancient pasture woodland. Consideration is being given to creating a National Park. The New Forest is all around you and wild ponies, deer and cows roam at will. The Rhinefield Ornamental Drive is worth a visit, especially when the rhododendrons are in bloom in the spring.


BURLEY

Burley probably derives from the Saxon "bury" which usually denoted an Iron Age hill fort (i.e. Castle Hill). Between 1680 and 1786 the Bailiwick of Burley was ruled by the Dukes of Bolton. The devouring Bisterne Dragon is said to have had a lair on Burley Beacon. The village has strong smuggling associations.


CADNAM

Cadnam is a village situated in Hampshire, UK, within the boundaries of the New Forest National Park. The village has existed since the medieval period, when it was (and still is) an important crossroads between Southampton and the towns of Bournemouth and Poole. Etymologically, the village was named after the farmstead (or "ham") of a man named Cadda. Currently, Cadnam is included in the Parish of Copythorne, a smaller village lying a mile to the north. The start (Junction 1) of the M27 motorway is at Cadnam. There are a number of pubs in Cadnam, including the White Hart (After White Hart), and The Sir John Barleycorn (After John Barleycorn). There is also a hotel, The Bartley Lodge Hotel, and a Methodist Church which is currently closed for redecorating. Services are instead being held at the Copythorne Parish Hall. Surrounding villages are Copythorne, and Bartley.


DIBDEN PURLIEU

Dibden Purlieu, Hythe, the conservation area of Old Hythe, Waterfront Green, Hythe Pier and facing Southampton Water. The open walks of the New Forest are just a 5 minutes drive. The village, together with its mixture of Georgian, Victorian and modern architecture, has many shops and is fortunate to have a small Waitrose supermarket. There are a variety of local pubs and restaurants within the village and marina.


ELING

Eling Tide Mill is on the southern edge of Totton & Eling, just outside the New Forest, and is the only tide mill in the world that is still producing flour on a regular basis. It has a fascinating history and is very much part of our industrial and agricultural heritage. Milling times vary from day to day according to the tide, so please check the Eling Tide Mill website for further details. As well as the Mill, there is a lot more to Eling than might be expected - a hidden gem on Southampton Water.


EMERY DOWN

Emery Down, near Lyndhurst, New Forest, Hampshire. For some Lyndhurst is just a thoroughfare for the journey to Southampton, but if those people driving through stopped in the village they would discover just how much it has to offer.


EVERTON

Everton is a village on the edge of the New Forest in the civil parish of Hordle, near Lymington, in the English county of Hampshire.


FAWLEY

The village of Fawley near the New Forest in Hampshire


FORDINGBRIDGE

Fordingbridge is a former market town with a population of 6,000, on the River Avon and the A338 road in the west of Hampshire, England, near to the Dorset and Wiltshire borders and on the edge of the New Forest. It is within easy reach of the city of Salisbury, and the seaside resort of Bournemouth. The Avon Valley Path passes through the town.


FRITHAM

Fritham is a small village in the New Forest Hampshire, England. It lies in the north of the New Forest, near the Wiltshire border.


HIGHCLIFFE

Highcliffe on Sea (usually abbreviated to Highcliffe) is a small town in the borough of Christchurch, Dorset in southern England. It forms part of the South East Dorset conurbation along the English Channel coast. As of 2003, Highcliffe has the highest percentage of its population over 60 in England and Wales, roughly 70% of its residents.


HINTON

Hinton - NEAR CHRISTCHURCH is just outside the New Forest. Famous for it's Hinton Ampner Garden. Scented plants, unexpected vistas, and glorious countryside combine to provide year-round interest in this splendid 20th century shrub garden. The garden achieves the vision of tranquility of its creator, Ralph Dutton, by uniting a formal design with varied and informal plantings in pastel shades.


HORDLE

Hordle is a small (population approximately 6000) village that lies in between the cities of Bournemouth and Southampton on the south coast of England. It is bordered by the towns of Lymington, New Milton and Ashley. Hordle lies within 2 miles of the boundary to the New Forest and also roughly 2 miles to the sea.


HURN

Hurn is a village in south east Dorset, England, situated between the River Stour and River Avon in Christchurch borough, five miles north east of Bournemouth city centre. The village has a population of 468 (2001). Hurn village is the location of Bournemouth International Airport.


HYTHE

Hythe near to the New Forest. One of the main towns on the 'Waterside' with panoramic views of Southampton Water. The old part of Hythe has Georgian and Victorian buildings and a long Victorian Pier along which a narrow gauge railway takes passengers to the ferry for Southampton.. The open walks of the New Forest are just a 5 minutes drive. The village, together with its mixture of Georgian, Victorian and modern architecture, has many shops and is fortunate to have a small Waitrose supermarket. There are a variety of local pubs and restaurants within the village and marina.


LANDFORD

Landford lies in the extreme south-east of Wiltshire, sandwiched between Whiteparish and Redlynch and bordering the New Forest in Hampshire parishes of Plaitford, once in Wiltshire, and West Wellow.


LYMINGTON

Lymington is a port on the Solent, in the New Forest district of Hampshire, England. It is to the east of the Bournemouth conurbation, and faces Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight which is connected to it by a car ferry, operated by Wightlink. The town has a large tourist industry, based on proximity to the New Forest and the harbour. It is a major yachting centre with a three marinas. According to the 2001 census the Lymington urban area had a population of about 14,000.


LYMINGTON TOWN

Lymington is particularly famous for its smuggling history, and under the High Street are smuggler's tunnels which run from the old inns to the town quay. These are no longer open to the public, as they are deemed to be dangerous.


LYNDHURST

A must for any visitor to Lyndhurst is the New Forest Museum, an unique guide into the Forest's history and heritage. The museum details the development of the Forest since its creation by William the Conqueror, and provides a first-hand exhibition of life and work in the Forest and demonstrates the best the Forest has to offer.


MILFORD ON SEA

The large village of Milford on Sea is located on the south coast of England in the county of Hampshire near to the New Forest. With a population of approximately 4,000, Milford has a variety of shops, restaurants and pubs in its high street, which borders the village green.


MINSTEAD

Minstead is a small one-shop village in the New Forest, Hampshire, about 2 miles north of Lyndhurst.


NEW MILTON

New Milton - Milton Parish, just South of the New Forest boundary, is made up of many separate manors. Bashley was mentioned in 1053, and again in the Domesday Survey as being under Priory ownership. Domesday also mentioned Milton, Barton, Wootton, Fernhill and Ashley.


NOMANSLAND

Nomansland is a village situated at the North of the New Forest in Southern England. It is unique in that it can trace the origin of its name to a specific date, October 23, 1802.


OWER

Ower in the New Forest. Paulton's Park is an amusement park situated in the village of Ower near Romsey in Hampshire, England. The name is derived from Paultons House, the house that used to be on the grounds before a fire. The park has three roller coasters.


REDLYNCH

Redlynch is an agricultural village located in the southeast of Wiltshire, near the New Forest, England, in the Salisbury district.


RINGWOOD

Ringwood is a town in Hampshire, England, on the River Avon, west of the New Forest and north of Bournemouth. The town was traditionally an agricultural centre, but since the closure of its cattle market in 1989, it has increasingly become a dormitory town.


ROMSEY

Romsey is a small market town, near the New Forest in the county of Hampshire, England. It is 8 miles (13 km) north-west of Southampton and 11 miles (18 km) south-west of Winchester. Just over 13,000 people live in Romsey, which has an area of about 4.93 square kilometres. (*more information at bottom of page)


SWAY

Sway is a village in the New Forest in Hampshire in England. The parish was formed in 1849, when 2208 acres were taken from the extensive parish of Boldre. The village has a station on the main line from Weymouth and Bournemouth to Southampton and London Waterloo with train services operated by South West Trains. From Brockenhurst, one can catch the "Lymington Flyer" services connect with the ferry to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight. Much of the children's novel The Children of The New Forest, written by Captain Marryat was set in the countryside surrounding Sway.


WINSOR

Winsor is a village situated in Hampshire, UK, within the boundaries of the New Forest National Park. Surrounding villages are Copythorne, Netley Marsh and Bartley


WOODGREEN

Woodgreen in the New Forest. The Parish was previously part of the Godshill Tithing. The village lies between Breamore and Hale to the East of the River Avon.


WOODLANDS

Woodlands near Ashurst in the New Forest.

Also;

Avon | Bank | Barton | Boldre | Bramshaw | Bransgore | Bucklers Hard | Blackfield | Brook | Brockhampton | burton | Bisterne | Bashley | Beckley | Burgate | Christchurch | Dibden | East End | Eling | Ellingham | Exbury | Furzey Lodge | Furze Hill | Frogham | Godshill | Hill Top | Hightown | Holbury | Holmsley | Kingston | Linford | Linbrook | Matchams | Marchwood | Milford | Mockbeggar |Netley Marsh | Newtown | Ossemsley | Pennington | Setley | South Baddesley | Stoney Cross | Sopley | Somerley | Swan Green | Piley | Pooksgreen | Portmore | Tiptoe | Totton | Walhampton | Walkford |

 

 

Welcome to the New Forest
Welcome
first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
Welcome
themed object

New Forest Accommodation

Bookmark and Share